Monday, July 2, 2018

The Second Anniversary Post



Two years ago today, Josh and I threw a big party.



We invited loads of people.


There was food and dancing.


I experienced more emotions in one day than I thought possible.


And everyone really enjoyed themselves (other than all the sweating--it was July, after all).


It was a while ago and not long ago at all.


That first year of marriage was interesting. 
It was a time of learning how to no longer be two, but one. It was a good year, but we both had to figure out how to give up parts of our separate selves to become a new and better version of us.
Not just Josh Davis and Laura Love, but Mr. and Mrs. Davis.

(Only one of us had to change all their paperwork but I AM NOT BITTER.)

Anyway.
One year later we celebrated our first anniversary, and it brought about a shift in the relationship. I've had other friends confirm this too--that after their first anniversary, something in the marriage changed. 
It was like we learned how to dance together without stepping on each other's feet.
I better understood the "one flesh" concept, and saw how it was creating a beautiful marriage.


Long before Josh, I went through different stages of singlehood (circa 2009-2015).

Angry at Men Phase.
Make a Very Specific Future Husband Qualities List So I Don't Make a Mistake Phase.
Being Single Is So Sad Phase.
Angry at Men Phase Part II.
Strong, Independent Woman Phase.
Men Are Actually Good And They Are My Friends Phase.
Tear Up The Unrealistic Husband List Phase.
I Am Worthwhile Phase accompanied by God Provides For Me In Singlehood Phase.
Finally followed with 
I Can Be Content As a Single Lady For The Most Part Phase.

It felt long back then, but I know now that it was necessary to go through the phases before I would come to a point of depending on God to define me (rather than relationship status), which in turn made a better foundation for my marriage now.
By the last phase, marriage wasn't my goal anymore.
 I knew by then that I didn't want to get married unless it could help me grow closer to God

Through the beginning of my relationship with Josh, I prayed for guidance and held Josh with open hands--which was not my typical reaction when I liked someone. On our wedding day, we wanted it to be obvious in the ceremony that God was going to lead and define our relationship. We put verse references from Ephesians 5 in our wedding rings.

God comes first.
We don't always act that way, but that is the goal we want for our marriage. 

Does that make the perfect Godly relationship? No, of course not. We've only been married two years, and we have a long way to go. But I've seen the growth in us since July 2nd, 2016, and I know that we're being sanctified together.

I love Josh, and I love our marriage. The love and connection we have now has come far from the day we made our vows, and in a few years I'll look back and see how much farther it's grown since today. God is good, and I see him bearing fruit in us.


These two years have been fun. We are a weird, quirky, and busy duo. Josh is predictable and unpredictable all at once. He loves my family and friends in ways I didn't expect my future husband would. He can't go on a road trip without stopping at Dairy Queen and he loves to decorate his cubicle for holidays. 


When I went to Uganda in 2010, the father of the missionary family I was staying with told me to look at three qualities in a future husband:

1) How he treats his mom.
2) How he treats those who are "beneath him" (ex: Is he nice to waiters? Does he open doors for people?)
3) How he handles his money.
3.5) Watch him to see if he acts that way when you're not around, too.

Josh passed with flying colors. He loves his mom--and his whole family--very well, he is kind to other people and volunteers for things, and he has made the most thorough budget I've ever seen that also includes room for giving.

This morning I woke up to chocolate and two dozen roses in vases around the house--not including the cotton roses that Josh hand-made because year two is the cotton anniversary.
The man is too much.
He's a real Proverbs 31 man.



(See all those roses back there?)




I feel that our marriage goals can be summed up in the acrostic mom put in our anniversary card:


We also went to Charlotte for one night to celebrate early--because, hey, how many more times will be able to stay in a discounted 4-star hotel for our anniversary?











(Honestly, I could've spent the whole trip in Amelie's)





 Charlotte is full of fun surprises:





We ended the trip with a late birthday brunch for Jasmine.
Because when in Charlotte, you must see Christina and Jasmine.